Sunday, September 21, 2014

Books that Changed My Life

Apparently, there is a blogger's bandwagon on which I have heretofore failed to jump.  I understand that it is now in vogue to share a list of the top 10 books of one's life.  I have enjoyed thinking back, and searching my book shelves to decide which books make the cut of such a list.  The hard part, for me, was not finding just ten, but rather finding as many as ten!  I have read countless books, for school and for fun, and yet there are only a few that have been so transformative that I would fain put them on a serious top ten list.  Just as in life we only find a handful of truest friends, so too, only a few books really affect us deeply and profoundly...changing the course of our thought and life.

Before we get down to business, however, I must make a disclaimer.  The Bible does not appear on this list.  I think it unfair to place the Bible on this list, since it is the most effective book in my life.  The Book is so rich, varied and expansive, and the Book is so transforms me--comforting, challenging, correcting, supporting and guiding me--that it is truly beyond any category, particularly the category of literature.  The Bible then, properly exists before and behind this list, above it and throughout it.  There is no story like the story of God and God's people.

One final note: this list is NOT in random order.  The list is a countdown to the most profound book in my life, and thus #1, the end of the list, is the most impactful book upon my life.

10.  Bunnicula by James Howe, et. al.
Although this book is neither a classic, nor a giant in the world of literature, it made a huge impact on me. Bunnicula is a series of books (7 now, but when I was in grade school there was only 4 or 5) about a vampire rabbit, whose evil designs are thwarted by a house cat and pet dog.  Chester is the quixotic cat, redoubtable, if excitable and misinformed.  Harold, the dog, is his unwitting (well, oblivious, really) partner.  Adventures ensue as Chester and Harold try to uncover the mystery of Bunnicula, and work to save their unsuspecting human owners.  I read these books as a child, and so I do not remember and cannot speak for their quality in writing.  However, these books got me to enjoy reading.  The book is full of adventure, humor, character and plot.  I would not be the avid reader I am without Bunnicula, and the misadventures of Chester the cat.

9.  Spider-man, Storm and Power Man Battle Smokescreen!  (Marvel Entertainment Group, Inc.)
I love reading comic books and graphic novels, and not just those telling the exploits of Spider-man.  This comic is what started everything off for me.  This special, promotional issue serves as a public service announcement for kids against the ills of smoking.  When I was in early grade school, I read this comic...and the rest is history.  After this, I began collecting Spider-man comics, and to this day, Spider-man is my favorite comic book character.

8.  The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
I read this fairly recently--while I was in seminary.  Although life took me through high school English, to Philosophy in college and on through the humanities, I have always been interested in science.  Brian Greene writes in such a way that armchair scientists are able to sink their teeth into some of the most amazing discoveries in astrophysics and cosmology, and come away with a sense of awe for God's creation unfolding around us.  If you want to know about that creation, and you love science (but don't get it)--try this book out!  This (and other titles by Greene) are an entertaining one-stop-shop for amateur thinkers.

7.  Imzadi by Peter David (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
I believe I read this book in high school, though it may have been middle school.  As you may know, I love Star Trek.  And although I have read many Star Trek novels over the years, this one stands out. At heart, it is a love story...and I display, from time to time, romantic tendencies.  This book opened new worlds to me as I read about how life interrupts love and how love can evolve over time, and about regret and second chances.  As will all science fiction, the advancements in technology only serve to highlight humanity.  I learned a lot of humanity from this book.  And it is good Star Trek.

6.  The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche
I read a lot of Nietzsche at Augustana College, in my philosophy studies.  I even did a senior seminar on Nietzsche works when I was a sophomore.  I believe he is given a bad rap, particularly for his seemingly anti-Christian sentiments.  In any event, this work of his is particularly meaningful for me.  In it, Nietzsche looks back to ancient Greek culture to learn about lessons for humanity today.  It taught me that the art and stories of the past can teach us important lessons.  In particular, this book taught me how art can be a window into culture and thought.  His distinction between Dionysian and Apollinarian art is widely applicable to life as helpful categories.  This book challenged me to think about our culture, and appreciate art.

5.  The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Sherlock is, perhaps, the most well-known and -loved character in all of western literature.  We admire his genius and try to imitate it.  Sherlock is larger-than-life, and yet very real defects in his character bring him alive to us and make him relatable.  The relationship between Watson and Holmes is also an inspiration.  I believe that we all long for such friendships in our lives.  These stories are engaging and inspiring.  Most of all, the adventures of Sherlock and Watson are fun.

4.  The Lutheran Book of Worship (ELCA Hymnal)
Hymnals form us in faith; they are instructors.  In and through them we learn scripture, theology, prayer and song.  Hymnals knit us together in community, as we join our voices into one voice.  When I was too young to remember, I am told that I loved to be in worship and hated having to go to the nursery or to Sunday School.  I wanted to be in the sanctuary with all of the adults.  As soon as I could read, I was using this book to guide my worship.  In fact, I was motivated to learn to read just so that I could follow along with all the other people.  Later, once I discovered a copy of the LBW at home, I would sit and read through it.  From these readings, I gained a love for liturgy--for the different ways people can come together and praise God.  This book taught me how to pray and to worship.  This book was a primer for the deep theology I would later study in college and in seminary.  I still love sitting down to plan and write worship services.  I still love singing and praying and praising.  If I had not discovered this book in my own home, I may not have become a pastor or a theologian.  I love the "new" red hymnal, but I began my journey of faith with the ol' green book.

3.  Upbuilding Discourses in Various Spirits by Soren Kierkegaard
If you know me, you know my love of Kierkegaard.  As I was sitting down to make this list of books, it was difficult not to list 10 of Kierkegaard's works!!!  I compromised by choosing two--this one and the next one.  Kierkegaard is my spiritual and theological mentor.  His words describing God and the life of a Christian are immensely helpful.  In this book, a collection of separately published discourses, Kierkegaard interprets Bible passages in such a way that one can see the relevance and importance of God's Word for our lives today.  His categories are groundbreaking and his dialectical reasoning is both instructive and invaluable.  What does it mean to follow Jesus Christ--in practical terms?  Oh, read this book.  Kierkegaard is a difficult author to read, however, if you can get through his verbosity, it is worth it.  His theology is profitable, edifying and unbelievably up-building.

2.  The Sickness Unto Death: A Christian Psychological Exposition for Upbuilding and Awakening by Anti-Climacus (Soren Kierkegaard)
Of Kierkegaard's works, this is (in my humble opinion) his best and most useful.  In it, he takes on the topic of sin.  In short, he explains how and why despair is sin, and it is the only mortal sin--the only sin that can keep us from God's love, salvation and eternal life.  Ultimately, he shows how faith (faith in Jesus Christ) fights and can conquer despair--and how each individual participates in and with that faith.  This book made me fall in love with Kierkegaard, a relationship that continues to grow and that has, indeed, changed the way I think about God, life and everything.  This book awoke me from sleep and lifted me up.    

1.  Dune by Frank Herbert
Dune was the first book on my list, and it is hands-down the #1 book I have read.  This novel changed my life.  And the other 15+ books in the series helped.  Herbert created a rich and expansive universe in this book.  In reading it, my horizons and perspective were expanded immeasurably.  Dune treats a wide-ranging spate of issues and facets of humanity and how they function in our lives: society, history, ecology, religion, mysticism, power, politics, love, loyalty, destiny, endurance, determination, duty, justice, the future of humanity--generally speaking, what it means to be a human being in a complex universe full of unknowns.  This is the only book I have read over a half a dozen times.  If you fail to read all of the other books on this list, at least read this one.

Happy reading, friends!

1 comment:

  1. It was fun to read your list! I will not list my top ten books here, but I am really enjoying putting together my top ten list! Like you said, few books affect us deeply and profoundly. It has been an entertaining trip down memory lane to think about this. It will take me a few days to put together my list. I will probably change it as new thoughts and books surface my memory. I’ve got a great deal of years to think through!

    ReplyDelete