Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Who Am I?

How would you respond if someone asked: "Who are you?"
I would start with my name: "I am Ryan Howard Anderson."
Although one's name does give the questioner a unique designation, a name does not do much to describe one's characteristics.
Going further, we might identify ourselves by family relationships.
I am the son of Phil and Sally.  At church, I would more often use my grandparents as a reference, as they were more well known in that context: I am the grandson of Burnell and Vivian.  My brother and I went to the same High School and College.  And, as he is a year older than I am, I could often say to teachers and staff: I am Erik Anderson's brother.  If he had been a bad student or a trouble-maker, though, I would not have invoked his name.
Going still further, we might identify ourselves by our vocations and activities.
I am the Pastor at St. John's Lutheran Church in Toluca.  I ride my bicycle.  I am a runner.  I play racquetball.
Or for other examples: I am a straight 'A' student.  I play football...or basketball...or baseball...or softball.  I am in theatre.  I am a member of Rotary International.  I am a farmer.  I go to such and such a church.  I am a Bears fan.  And the list goes on....

But if you had to choose just one response to the question, "Who are you?" what would your answer be?  Think about that for a second before reading on.  What statement best encapsulates who you are and what you are about?

The Psalmist has his own answer:
"O Lord, you have searched me
        and known me.
For it was you who formed my
        inward parts;
you knit me together in my
        mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully
        and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are you works
        that I know very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
        intricately woven in the depths
        of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my unformed
        substance.
In your book were written all the days
        that were formed for me,
        when none of them as yet existed.
Psalm 139:1, 13-16

The Psalmist seems to be implying that only God truly knows who he is.  God has special knowledge of the Psalmist because he knit him in his mother's womb, and because God's book has record of all of the days that were formed for him--even before they happen.  God creates each of those days.  And so, the Psalmist's answer is this: "I am God's creation."

Doesn't that seem to say it all?

Yet, we Christians can say more.  Jesus Christ took human form so that he might call us brothers and sisters.  Jesus Christ took up the cross, or rather allowed himself to be taken up to the cross, so that we might be reconciled to God the Father.  And so we are not mere creations of our God.  We are God's children.

How far down on your list of things that describe you is "I am a Lutheran" or still better, "I am a Christian" or still better, "I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a disciple"?  Or, try using the best answer of all: "I am a child of God."

Think of what a witness to the gospel that would be!  If all the saints of the church responded to the question "Who are you?" with the words, "I am a child of God."  People might laugh or be confused or even be offended.  But all of those are normal reactions when we begin to share God's Word.

Try it sometime.  You may just get someone thinking.

Who are you?

You are a child of God.

Thanks be to God for that.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment